Your local pharmacist (chemist) is your healthcare expert on the high street. Pharmacists provide confidential, expert advice and treatment for a range of common conditions and will be able to help you decide if you need to see a GP or other health service. No appointment is needed, and many have separate consulting rooms for completely confidential advice.
- Dispense medicine on prescription
- Dispense repeat prescriptions without the need to visit your GP
- Give advice on treating common ailments like coughs and colds
- Help you manage long-term conditions such as diabetes and asthma
- Give advice on medication, including if you’re taking medicine for lots of different conditions
- Give advice on staying healthy
- Give sexual health and contraception advice
- Provide treatments for common ailments like head lice and athlete’s foot.
Many also offer free emergency contraception including the morning-after pill.