You will undertake a range of nursing assessments and provide appropriate care and treatment in conjunction with GPs and other clinical staff, or independently in line with national guidelines, Surgery policies and procedures. You will look to improve patients’ health outcomes in the assessment, diagnosis, treatment and management of patients within their care. Working collaboratively with the multi-disciplinary Surgery team to meet the needs of patients.
The Clinical Responsibilities:
- To undertake a variety of duties, including working across the Surgeries in the locality as directed by the Lead GP.
- To deliver a high standard of patient care as a Practice Nurse in general practice,
- Work with other members of the nursing and healthcare team to organise and provide nursing services for the practice population
- Provide nursing treatments to patients in participation with GPs or independently, following national guidelines, Surgery policies and procedures.
- Assist in and perform routine tasks related to patient care in negotiation with other members of the nursing team and as directed by GPs
- Advise patients on general healthcare and minor ailments with referral to GPs as necessary
- Provide specific evidence based practical skills and knowledge in the following
- Cytology and sexual health screening
- Travel Health
- Wound care, including support for the Leg Club initiative
- Removal of sutures
- Asthma / peak flow readings / spirometry
- Hypertension management
- Routine immunisations / child immunisations
- Work with patients in order to support compliance with and adherence to prescribed treatments. Provide information and advice on prescribed or over-the-counter medication on medication regimens, side-effects and interactions within the post-holders knowledge and competencies
- Prioritise health problems and intervene appropriately to assist the patient in complex, urgent or emergency situations, including initiation of effective emergency care
- Support patients to adopt health promotion strategies that promote healthy lifestyles, and apply principles of self-care. Support and manage health needs of women presenting for family planning or sexual health consultations
- Recording clear and contemporaneous consultation notes to agreed standards.
- Collecting data for audit purposes.
- Compiling and issuing computer-generated acute and repeat prescriptions (avoiding hand-written prescriptions whenever possible)
- Registered General Nurse (Currently registered with the Nursing & Midwifery Council)
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in NHS general practice
- Experience in management long term conditions e.g. asthma, COPD, diabetes, CHD .
- Evidence of working autonomously and as part of a team
- Experience of wound management
- Experience of use of a medical software package
- Understanding of evidence-based practice
- Ability to use skills in a range of routine situations requiring analysis or comparison of a range of options
- Ability to assess and manage patient risk effectively and safely, seeking advice where needed
- Able to analyse data and information, drawing out implications for the individual patient/impact on care plan
- Good communication skills, able to communicate effectively across different levels
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and MS Outlook to intermediate level
- Patient focused and compassionate about delivery of safe and effect care.
- Reflective practitioner
- Ability to demonstrate commitment to Mendip Vales ethos and values
- Resilient and flexible to meet service needs
Up to 25.5 Hours per week, working Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Some Saturday work overtime will also be required supporting 8:30am-12:30pm on a rota basis across the team.
Join the Mendip Vale Team today by sending your CV and cover letter to Katie Drew – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, if you don’t hear from us after 10 working days, consider your application unsuccessful – Thank you
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.